Like chocolate-covered strawberries meet strawberries and cream, this take on classic strawberry shortcake is the perfect summer dessert. The shortcakes are ultra tender and super chocolatey thanks to cocoa powder and finely chopped chocolate. Add sweet summer berries and a good helping of freshly whipped cream and you really can't go wrong. —Sarah Jampel
- Prep time 45 minutes
- Cook time 18 minutes
- Serves 8
- Chocolate shortcakes
1 3/4 cups
all-purpose flour (210 grams)
and 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (50 grams)
2 1/4 teaspoons
unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks (85 grams)
chocolate, finely chopped
raw or coarse sanding sugar
1 1/2 pounds
strawberries, hulled, halved or quartered if large
granulated sugar, or more if your strawberries aren't very ripe or sweet
heavy or whipping cream (235 ml)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Add cream and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar, and salt until thoroughly combined. Add butter and use your fingers to break into small pea-sized bits and coat in dry ingredients. Stir in chopped chocolate. Pour the cream mixture into the butter-flour mixture and use a rubber spatula, followed by your hands, to mix and mash it together into one cohesive dough.
- Divide dough into 8, roll each lump into a ball, and dip in sanding sugar.
- Place balls on prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until set but not hard, rotating once halfway. Let cool completely on tray or on a cooling rack.
- About 30 minutes before you’re ready to assemble, gently mash about a quarter of the strawberries in a medium bowl using a fork. Add remaining strawberries, sugar, and salt and stir gently to mix. Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes, until very juicy.
- In a cold bowl, beat the cream to soft peaks.
- Use a serrated knife to gently slice each shortcake. Top the bottoms with whipped cream, spoon macerated strawberries over top, and perch shortcake hats on top.
- Shortcakes can be frozen. Defrost in the refrigerator, then warm in a low oven.