A hearty vegetarian quiche packed with bold flavors. Quiche is such a versatile dish; it works well for breakfast, brunch, dinner, or whenever! This quiche is particularly hearty and flavorful, filled with sweet caramelized onions, perfectly roasted cauliflower, and sharp white cheddar cheese. —Bella Smith
- Prep time 45 minutes
- Cook time 45 minutes
- Serves 8
Pie crust for 9 inch pan (homemade or store bought)
small head cauliflower, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Drizzle of olive oil
large yellow onions, thinly sliced
Generous pinch white sugar
white cheddar, shredded
Fresh chives, chopped, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Caramelize the onions by melting butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add onions, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a generous pinch of both salt and sugar to the onions, and stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 15-25 minutes, or until onions are browned and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, place cauliflower on a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt over the cauliflower, and mix so that the cauliflower are evenly coated. Bake for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through. When cauliflower are finished roasting, remove from the baking sheet let cool. Lower oven temp to 350F for the quiche.
- Line 9 inch pie pan with pie crust. Press the crust into the pan, and crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers.
- Add eggs to a large bowl and beat slightly. Add heavy cream, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and whisk to combine. Stir in cheese, caramelized onions, and roasted cauliflower.
- Pour the mixture into the pie pan.
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until the quiche is set and does not wiggle when shaken. If the crust starts to brown too much, put aluminum foil over the quiche to prevent more browning.
- Let the quiche stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Top with chopped chives if desired.