Author Notes: Inspired by a Sunset Magazine recipe that's probably 30 years old, this has been Christmas Day breakfast since I was born. It's easy yet celebratory -- at my house, we go through our stockings while it's in the oven. It puffs up beautifully, and the cornmeal adds irresistable crunch. —mg2157
good quality link sausages
large Golden Delicious apples
cup all-purpose flour
warm maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425. Peel and core apples and slice into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In large saute pan with oven-proof handle, brown sausages on all sides over medium-high heat. Transfer sausages to plate.
- In same pan, melt butter, then add apple slices, cooking 3-4 minutes until apples are soft but are not falling apart. Remove from heat and arrange sausage links in spoke pattern around fruit.
- In a blender or food processor, combine milk, flour and eggs and blend until smooth. Pour egg mixture over sausage and eggs.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then sprinkle cornmeal over the top and bake for another 10 minutes until egg is set and top is lightly browned.
- Cut into pie-shaped wedges and serve with warm maple syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast