- Prep time 3 hours 30 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Serves 6 to 8
What You'll Need
all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
unrefined sunflower oil, divided
large eggs, divided (one for dough, one for egg wash)
- Filling & assembly
Unrefined sunflower oil
yellow onions, thinly sliced
large carrots, grated
2 to 3 pounds
medium-sized cabbage, julienned
fresh dill, chopped
fresh parsley, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Warm the milk and use half (150 ml) to dissolve honey and yeast in a bowl, cover and leave for 15 minutes until strong foam cap appears.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well. Add 2 tablespoons of the sunflower oil, 1 beaten egg, the honey-yeast mixture, and the rest of the milk into the well and stir together into a dough—it should be soft and sticky; only add more flour if the consistency is soupy.
- Knead dough or use standing mixer with dough hook for 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer into a bowl lightly greased with the remaining tablespoon of sunflower oil, cover, and let proof in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Beat down dough and proof again for another hour.
- Filling & assembly
- Make the filling: In a large pan, sauté the onions in some sunflower oil, about 20 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, cook down cabbage and carrots until soft, 20 to 30 minutes, then add salt, pepper, and herbs. Combine with onions.
- Assemble the pie: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a large, round, deep-dish baking pan with sunflower oil (springform is great for this).
- Divide dough into a 1/3 piece and a larger 2/3 piece. Take the larger piece of dough and roll it out to fit the form of the dish on the bottom and sides. Add filling. Roll out the smaller piece and lay it on top, cutting off excess dough and reserving to decorate the top with designs ~~~ such as leaves and such. Crimp the edges to seal the two pieces of dough together.
- Brush top with egg wash (the remaining egg, beaten) and bake for 30 to 40 mins until golden-brown.