Author Notes: We've had some version of this strata for breakfast on Christmas morning for several years. The simplicity is especially welcome at holiday time. The texture depends on the bread you use. Brioche or challah will yield the fluffiest result, whole grain or hefty white will give a heartier dish. —calendargirl
really good bacon
1% or 2 % milk
half and half
sharp cheddar, grated
scant 1/3 cup
stale bread (see headnote), roughly half an inch thick
butter to grease baking dish
minced chives and/or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Butter a shallow baking dish.
- Cook the bacon until it is crisp but not burned. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, ketchup, mace and grated cheese. .
- Arrange the bread, slices slightly overlapping, so that they cover the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread, making sure to cover completely. Crumble the bacon over all and cover tightly with plastic or foil. Refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, take out the strata and bring it to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake until the top is golden and the custard is set, about 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm, and garnish if desired with chives and parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast