If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Okra, cornmeal, oil, salt. That's it. As always, take care (and wear shoes!) when deep frying. ---BTE —Big Tex Eats
cups fresh okra, washed and sliced into 1/2 inch coins
cup white cornmeal
peanut oil for deep frying
- Place the sliced okra in a large bowl filled with cold water and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove okra from water, drain (okra may feel sticky, but don't rinse; this is what will bind the cornmeal to each piece), and toss (one small batch at a time) into the cornmeal.
- Meanwhile, heat several inches of oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot. Drop in one cornmeal coated okra coin to test oil; if it sizzles the oil is hot enough.
- Fry the okra in small batches until golden brown.
- Remove using a long handled slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt while still hot and serve.