Chick peas are getting a lot of attention lately and for good reason. They’re inexpensive, packed with protein and incredibly versatile. But with our recent obsession with garbanzos it’s easy to forget that nearly all beans in the canned food aisle offer the same convenience as the beloved ceci.
This recipe, inspired by a sausage and white bean soup I love, is made using just one sheet tray. It’s quick to assemble and even quicker to clean up, making it an ideal candidate for a weeknight dinner.
I’ve found that the key to a successful sheet pan dinner is to layer the flavor to make a dish that’s overall more interesting and tastes impressive. The beans are tossed with olive oil and grated garlic and the brocolini and thinly sliced onion are spiced with red pepper flake. To brighten up the dish, I like to squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over top before serving. You can serve this dinner straight from the pan as-is or dish it into bowls over warm polenta. Either way, it’s a winner.
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
14-ounce can white beans
cloves of garlic, grated
Salt and pepper
bunch of broccolini, trimmed
small red onion, thinly sliced
links of sweet Italian sausage
Lemon, for serving
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Line a large sheet tray with foil. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse the white beans. Place them into a large bowl. Add a two tablespoons of olive oil, grated garlic, oregano, ¼ teaspoon salt and some freshly cracked black pepper. Toss to combine and place on to a sheet tray.
- Place the broccolini and thinly sliced red onion into the same bowl. Add two tablespoons of olive oil, red pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon salt. Toss to combine. Scatter over top of the beans.
- Arrange the sausage links over top of the broccolini and onion. Drizzle each sausage with a little bit of olive oil. Place into the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until everything has started to brown and sausages are cooked.
- Divide onto dinner plates or serve over top of polenta. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.