Chicken Shawarma with onions, tomatoes, garlic butter and yoghurt mint sauce. Cucumbers and parsley are optional. —Rajat Dhameja
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 2
Chicken boneless Breast
Pink Turnip Pickled Spears
8 - 10
White or Whole wheat Pita Bread
Red Chilli Powder
In This Recipe
- Trim any fat off chicken breast.
- Marinate Mix - Whisk together half cup of Greek yoghurt, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 2 garlic clove, 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Marinate chicken breast in the yoghurt mixture for 2 hours outside refrigerator or 4 hours in refrigerator
- Broil chicken in the oven at 450°F until cooked and tender & juicy
- Let chicken cool. Cut chicken breast width wise into thin strips.
- Heat a shallow frying pan or cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Saute the sliced chicken strips in the pan, add 1 teaspoon of sumac and squeeze half a lemon We want to give the chicken a bit of browning to resemble the shawarma roasting on the rotating spit.
- Take 2 pita breads; one on each plate. Divide the chicken on each pita. Drizzile 2 table spoons tahini on each pita with chicken.
- Top with sliced white onion and tomatoes.
- Top with previously prepared yoghurt mint sauce (Greek yoghurt, salt, mint leaves and cumin)
- Before we roll each of the pita with chicken, tahini, salad and mint yoghurt sauce, place the pita in an oven toaster grill or an oven on broil for 1 minute at 350°C to warm up the pita and toppings.
- Remove from oven, place pita on an aluminum foil and wrap strategically to enjoy the warm, succulent and tender, juicy chicken shawarma
- Serve with yellow hot chilli peppers and pink pickles turnip or fill pickle Spears.
- Please note - Garlic butter or Toum or Toumya is a garlic sauce which can be added to pita ingredients prior to wrapping. This sauce is made by adding 4-6 cloves of garlic, slowly pouring one cup of olive oil, half a lemon, salt into a blender.