In this time of uncertainty, having meals that can made with pantry staples are valuable. This quesadilla lacks meat, but not flavor! You can enjoy an elevated dinner instead of making spaghetti for the 4th time this week! —kaitskitchen
What You'll Need
can black beans (no salt added)
package of baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
chipotle Chile powder
salted butter, divided into 1/2 tablespoons each
pepper jack cheese
juice from lime
For the quesadillas -
1. Drain and rinse can of beans and then slightly mash 1/3 of can to resemble very lumpy refried beans. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet on medium-low heat and add mushrooms
3. Cook down mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Add in salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and chipotle chile powder and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
4. Add in beans and mix to combine.
5. In a large skillet, add 1/2 tablespoon salted butter and let melt on medium-low heat.
6. Once melted, add in a tortilla and then 1/2 cup bean and mushroom mixture and 1/4 cup pepper jack cheese to one side of the tortilla.
7. Increase fire to medium heat and let cook for 30 seconds, fold tortilla in half and let cook for another minute. Flip and cook for another minute or two until the tortilla is browned.
8. Remove from heat and slice into 3 slices. I like to use my pizza cutter for this.
9. Top with avocado cream sauce – instructions below
10. Finish the bean and mushroom mixture within the week.
For the avocado cream sauce -
1. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Store in fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days