5 Ingredients or Fewer
My Sister's Mother-in-law's Challah
by: Tsippora M
May 4, 2020
- Prep time 3 hours
- Cook time 20 hours
- Makes 2 large challah 4 medium
super easy eggless Challah (there's an egg for the egg wash, but you don't have to use it). probably the best challah i've ever tasted. stole it from my sister who got it from her mother-in-law.
i've been mixing 70% whole wheat flour, my sister does all white (all purpose) flour. this recipe is very forgiving so don't be afraid to play around with it. —Tsippora M
What You'll Need
dry instant yeast
sugar (depending on desired sweetness. i do 6)
egg (for egg wash)
seseme seeds, poppy seeds etc for decoration
- Activate the yeast - Mix some of the sugar, warm water and yeast in a bowl or measuring cup (to activate the yeast)
- Mix the Dry ingredients - mix flour, salt and the rest of the sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the warm yeasty water and oil into the flour and mix until it forms a dough
- Knead for 10-12 minutes by hand, 6-8 minutes if you're using a mixer
- Let rise in an oiled, covered bowl for about an 1-2 hours or until doubled in size
- Separate the dough into 2 (for large challah's) or 4 (for medium sized challah). Shape each section how you like - 3/4/6 strand braid or whatever you want it's your challah!
- Let formed challahs rise about 1 hour
- beat an egg for egg wash - brush on the challah before baking (if you don't want to use egg you can use butter, milk, honey etc). this is when you sprinkle on any decoration you feel like (sesame seeds are a classic)
- place in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 20-25 minutes (depending on the size) until dark brown.
See what other Food52ers are saying.