Inspired by Claire Saffitz's recipe, along with Ina Garten's —Melissa P
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Cook time 7 minutes
- Serves 4
red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups
crème liquide (12% matière grasse)
(heaping) panko breadcrumbs
In This Recipe
- In a pan put caramelized onions, 4 tbsp unsalted butter, ⅛ tsp of red pepper flakes on medium (6).
- Start boiling pasta in another pot
- Once the butter has melted in the pan, strip two sprigs of thyme and add in.
- Next add to the same pan the milk, crème liquide, and the cheeses and mix. Then add the garlic powder and nutmeg. The texture will be some what thin but be sure the cheese melts and incorporates.
- Once the pasta is done, drain into a collander and then add to the sauce.
- Transfer all to a baking dish.
- Rinse out sauce pan then add 3 tbsp of butter, and strip one sprig of fresh thyme and mix.
- Once melted add the breadcrumbs, a pinch of garlic powder and a pinch of salt. Stir until just slightly browned, about 5 five minutes still on medium (6).
- Evenly spread the breadcrumbs onto the pasta and grate a hint of parmesan to cover.
- Broil until starts to brown.
- *In order to caramelize onions, do ahead and refrigerate. Should last up to a week. Cut three yellow onions into thin rings and then cook on medium-low (4) with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil for 30 minutes covered, another 20-30 minutes uncovered (3). Season with salt and pepper once done but still warm.