Chickpea flour pancakes are the perfect work from home lunch, that can you can prep before hand and enjoy fresh and hot. They are also fabulously modular. Keep the chickpea flour batter ready and one day add chopped onions and tomatoes, and chopped spinach on another. Freshen up your leftovers and recreate a whole new meal. —Annada Rathi
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes
- Makes 4 pancakes
red chile powder (optional)
diced onions (half inch by half inch)
- Mix 1.5 cups chickpea flour and 2 cups water in a mixing bowl. Whisk well to remove all clumps.
- Add, salt, cumin powder and red chile powder to this mixture and mix well.
- Now divide this mixture roughly into half, pour one half in a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator.
- Add diced onions and tomatoes to the mixture in the mixing bowl. Taste and re-season with salt, cumin powder and red chile powder per your taste.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet. Make sure it heats up well. Now perform a test. Add a drop of water to the skillet, if the water hits the skillet with a sizzle and the water drop starts jumping, the skillet is ready. If not, repeat the process after a few minutes. Wipe the water with paper napkin and pour 1/2 tsp oil.
- Pour about half cup of chickpea flour-onion-tomato mixture into the hot skillet and swirl it around lightly to make a small pancake that's about 4 inches in diameter. The thickness of the pancake should be between that of a crepe and flour pancake.
- Once the edge become brown, flip and let cook on the other side. If you want all round crunchiness, let the pancake cook a little longer but keep an eye on it.
- Serve hot with salsa and sour cream or cilantro chutney. Take relief in knowing that with one set of prep you have made a hot lunch for 2 days.
- You can leave the chickpea flour batter for upto a week in the refrigerator. The next time you are in a mood for a chickpea flour pancake, add diced spinach to the batter. Check for seasoning.
- And repeat the process for making pancakes. Serve hot with cilantro chutney, hot sauce or Indian pickle.
- So technically the set of pancakes are leftovers but still you enjoy them fresh and hot with a different recipe and different ingredient.