A wonderful Italian vegetable casserole. Vegan aubergine parmigiana. Homemade tomato sauce, grilled eggplants and vegan mozzarella! —Tastes Like Green Spirit
- Prep time 4 hours
- Cook time 1 hour 5 minutes
- Serves 6 Portions
apple cider vinegar
fresh basil leaves
tap water for the cashews
In This Recipe
- Cover the cashew nuts in a clean container with water and let them soak overnight. Add 200 ml water to the psyllium husk and let it also soak for at least 2 hours until it has a jelly-like consistency.
- Drain the water from the container with the cashew nuts, then rinse the cashew nuts in the container with fresh water until the water becomes completely clear. Now blend the psyllium husk with the cashew nuts, the salt and the lemon juice in a high-performance blender until you get a uniform, white cream.
- Pour the cream into a mason jar and place it into the fridge for about 1 hour until the mixture has completely cooled. Now you can use it like mozzarella.
- Wash the zucchini and eggplant, remove the ends and cut into 1 cm thick slices.
- Peel onions and garlic, dice finely. Wash the tomatoes and roughly dice them, too.
- Braise onions and garlic in a little oil. Add tomatoes and steam for 20 minutes, then add salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and apple cider vinegar and simmer gently for another 20 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are simmering, fry the aubergines and zucchini slices in a separate pan with 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil until both sides are lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F top/bottom heat and line the casserole dish with a layer of zucchini and eggplant slices. Cover with 3-4 ladles of tomato sauce and spread a few tablespoons of mozzarella on top. Now start the next layer with zucchini and aubergines and continue until the baking dish is full or the ingredients are used up. The last layer should be finished with mozzarella and then sprinkle it with some polenta semolina.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cheese has melted a little and is golden brown. You may also take it out of the oven earlier, if you like the cheese to be not too crusty. Enjoy 🙂