I love apples and I love rum. I wanted a drink that was not too cloyingly sweet but had some real substance to it. And, I wanted it to be hot and I wanted it to look delicious.
I love apples and I love rum. I wanted a drink that was not too cloyingly sweet but had some real substance to it. And, I wanted it to be hot and I wanted it to look delicious.—dymnyno
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 8 pieces each
cup brown sugar
teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
ounces dark rum (like Goslings)
cups boiling water
egg whites, beat until fluffy
pinches fresh nutmeg
teaspoon butter (optional)
- Prepare the apples and put them in an large ovenproof dish.
- Pour 1 cup water and the brown sugar over them and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the apples are very soft (about 45 min.).
- Remove from the oven and smash the apples and juice until mostly smooth.
- Add 16 oz of dark rum and the boiling water and mix.
- Pour unto your glass or cup of choice and garnish with fluffy egg whites and grate a little nutmeg on top.
- ******before you add the egg white top, you can slip a little butter on top of the drink, if you wish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe With Apples