Author Notes: I feel good eating healthy foods, especially when they taste good-for-you. When I eat this dish, I feel virtuous and nourished. It's those earthy flavors of the whole grain rice and lentils. Serve this dish with some plain yogurt and a perfect hard boiled egg, and you have a complete meal. You can also make this ahead of time and heat it in the microwave. It tastes almost as good as it does fresh! —Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- 2 cups yogurt (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sautee for about five minutes.
- Add the rice and saute over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is beginning to brown and become fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes until the rice is fully cooked through. Monitor the water levels from time to time; you may need to add some water if it seems dry.
- Let the rice rest for a few minutes, fluff, and serve with hard boiled eggs and plain yogurt, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils