If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I feel good eating healthy foods, especially when they taste good-for-you. When I eat this dish, I feel virtuous and nourished. It's those earthy flavors of the whole grain rice and lentils. Serve this dish with some plain yogurt and a perfect hard boiled egg, and you have a complete meal. You can also make this ahead of time and heat it in the microwave. It tastes almost as good as it does fresh! —Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
cup brown lentils
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon canola oil
cups brown rice
hard boiled eggs (optional)
cups yogurt (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sautee for about five minutes.
- Add the rice and saute over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is beginning to brown and become fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes until the rice is fully cooked through. Monitor the water levels from time to time; you may need to add some water if it seems dry.
- Let the rice rest for a few minutes, fluff, and serve with hard boiled eggs and plain yogurt, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils