Sabzi Polo is delicious Persian herb rice that's served with fish for the Persian new year to celebrate the spring. Rice mixed with a selection of aromatic herbs makes this a great side dish to serve when you're feeding a crowd!
1. Rinse Basmati rice at least three times. Set aside.
2. Mix all the chopped herbs in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Fill a large nonstick pot with water, place over high heat, cover with a lid and bring water to boil.
4. Once the water is boiling, pour the rinsed rice into the water and cook it for 7-8 minutes until the rice grain is soft on the outside but still firm on the inside.
5. Drain using a colander and mix the herbs with the rice.
6. Place the pot back on medium heat and make sure it's dry. Pour the vegetable oil into the pot and heat it.
7. Once the oil is shimmery, place the lettuce leaves at the bottom of the pot to cover it.
8. 5.Scoop the rice and herbs back into the pot. Bring most of the rice to the middle, shaping it into a mound. Using the edge of a spatula, make 5 holes in the surface of the rice to let the steam out.
9. Pour ½ cup of water around the edges. Wrap the lid in a clean towel and put it on the pot. Let the rice steam for 15 minutes, until the steam comes out from the bottom of the pot.
10. Pour 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil on the rice, cover, and steam for 20-30 more minutes on low heat.
11. Serve warm with saffron chicken or grilled fish.