- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 15 minutes
- Serves 2
Test Kitchen Notes
This feel-good brown rice bowl is here for all your work-from-home lunches, weeknight dinners, and even breakfast, too—thanks to that jammy egg. Packed with fresh, super-green ingredients (like California Avocados, baby bok choy, cucumber, cilantro) and punchy flavors (lime, fish sauce, Fresno chile peppers), this is one rice bowl you’ll never get bored with. You can mix up the toppings however you like, but don’t skip the creamy pureed dressing: The California Avocados bring richness and texture, while the garlic, fish sauce, and lime (zest and juice) bring that zing.
This recipe is shared in partnership with California Avocados. —The Editors
bunch fresh cilantro
baby bok choy (or any hearty green vegetable)
California Avocados, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons
fish sauce, divided
limes, zested and juiced, divided
Fresno chile pepper, divided
kosher salt, plus more to taste
Persian cucumbers (or 1 English cucumber)
short-grain brown rice, cooked in a rice cooker or on the stovetop according to package instructions
- Bring a large sauce pot filled with water to a boil over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, blanch the bunch of cilantro for 10 seconds, or until it's just wilted and turns a more saturated green. Remove and chill in an ice bath for 1 minute. Dry with paper towels or a salad spinner, and set aside.
- Bring the water back to a boil and blanch your bok choy the same way, about 10 seconds—just until it slightly wilts and turns a more saturated green. Shock in the ice bath and dry; set aside.
- One more time! Bring the water back to a boil, lower your eggs in the water, and cook for 7 minutes. Transfer the eggs to an ice bath and allow to cool until the eggs are easy to handle, about 2 minutes. Crack the egg on all sides, and peel; set aside.
- In a blender, combine the blanched cilantro, 1 avocado, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, the zest and juice of 1 lime, half the Fresno chile pepper, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, a pinch of kosher salt, and 1/2 cup of water. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- Place cucumbers in a large zip-top bag and give it 10 whacks with a heavy utensil, like a rolling pin. (You can place a kitchen towel on top of the bag for this step to protect your countertop.) Remove the cucumbers and cut into smaller pieces if they’re not smashed enough.
- Toss the cucumbers with the remaining avocado (diced into 1-inch chunks), 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce, the zest and juice of 1 lime, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, the remaining half of the Fresno chile pepper (sliced thinly), and salt to taste.
- Build your bowl: Start with a base of brown rice and top with your jammy egg, blanched greens, and dressed cucumbers and avocado. Dollop the avocado puree in the center of the bowl. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Condiments like hot sauce or chili crisp are highly encouraged.