- Prep time 5 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Serves 8
This cauliflower cake is one of my recent favorites. It's festive, delicious, can be adjusted to any diet and accommodated to anyone's preference. You need to like the cauliflower, that's it. My friend shared me the recipe and I tweaked it to my liking and used the ingredients I had. Made it at least 7 times and with different ingredients, all are fantastic. Instead of flour, used almond flour and ground up flex seeds, instead of red onions used leeks. Even though i used parmesan, you can use blue cheese, feta, mozzarella, grayer, cheddar, or anything you have at home. —Madona Giorgadze
cauliflower, broken or cut into small pieces
milk or half&half (or any diary free milk)
ground up flex seeds
za'atar spice mix, or any other fresh herbs or spice
salt, freshly ground black pepper
parsley, chives, or dill
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Boil the water in a large pot. While all this is happening, prep your cauliflower, cut into small, bite size pieces. I used leeks in this recipe just because I had leftovers from spinach pie I made previous day. If you don't have it, use scallions, just cook them with little bit of oil for 2-3 minutes. It'll give the dish nice flavor.
- When your water boils, salt it generously with 2 tsp or more salt, add cauliflower, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Save 1 tbsp. cheese and fresh herbs for garnish at the end.
- 3 minutes later, scoop the cauliflower from the pot, add to the mixing bowl and stir well. Place all the mixture in a cake baking dish. Make sure to place parchment paper to avoid any sticking. I like to use pan with removable bottom. It makes much easier to take the cake out after baking. Garnish with cheese we saved and sprinkle the herbs that you are using.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for at least 20 minutes. Ovens are different and it's always good to start with 20 minutes, then check and see if your cake needs more time.
- That's it, take it out, let it cool and enjoy. I also like to have it during the week, just cut the slice and heat in a skillet with just a little bit of oil or butter. Add some fresh salad and you have a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner.