An easy Greek avgolemono soup (egg-lemon) with plenty of substitutions! Traditionally avgolemono is eaten as a soup or used as a sauce. When as soup, it's usually chicken soup with avgolemono. Here I use any 'flavorful liquid' and then reincorporate the egg-lemon mixture into that. See full video of recipe on my patreon :) —recordsintheden
cooked/canned chickpeas or sub any neutral base like a serving of pasta, 1/2 c cooked diced potatoes, or 1/2 c cooked shredded chicken, etc.
1 1/2 cups
hot flavorful liquid (e.g. bean liquid, vegetarian or meat-based broth, pasta water, or miso paste diluted in 1 c water
Zest and juice of 3 juicy lemons (~1 c lemon juice)
dried herbs, recommend oregano, thyme or marjoram, as available
fresh herbs, roughly chopped (recommend dill, parsley, fennel fronds, or mint – the idea is to bring some herby freshness and greenery to garnish)
Salt + Pepper
Optional toppings: dash of olive oil, Greek-style yogurt, feta, breadcrumbs
In This Recipe
1. For the base: in a saucepan heat the chickpeas (or sub) and your flavorful liquid. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Bring to a medium-low simmer and cook for a few minutes with the lid ajar. If using pasta, cook as instructed, reserving 1 1/2 c of pasta water at the end.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl add the lemon juice and zest, eggs and cornstarch, and whisk to combine. Trust me, you want the zest for extra lemony-ness!
3. When the base is done, get a 1 c measuring cup or something with a handle that you can use to remove the liquid from the pot. Remove ~1 c of the hot liquid and while whisking, slowly stream the hot liquid into the egg-lemon mixture to temper and combine while continuing to whisk. This is your avgolemono.
4. Add the avgolemono to the saucepan with the base, and combine with a spatula incorporate. Cook on medium heat until the soup is lightly bubbling around the edges of the pot. Then turn off the heat and let stand for a few minutes to let the soup thicken.
5. Serve and garnish as desired with fresh and dried herbs, a dash of olive oil, more lemon zest, finishing sea salt, yogurt, breadcrumbs, etc.