These are a sweet twist on a vanilla cupcake, featuring a whole sandwich cookie in the base of each cupcake, plus plenty of cookie crumbs folded throughout the batter. Using marshmallow fluff in the frosting mimics the kind of creaminess of the classic cookie’s filling—I like to finish them off with a miniature sandwich cookie, too (or more cookie crumbs). Have another favorite cookie? This would work with chocolate chip cookies, too—or even your favorite Girl Scout cookie. —Erin Jeanne McDowell
Test Kitchen Notes
Bake It Up a Notch is a column by Resident Baking BFF Erin Jeanne McDowell. Each month, she'll help take our baking game to the next level, teaching us all the need-to-know tips and techniques and pointing out all the mistakes to avoid along the way. Today, cupcakes galore—the very funnest dessert! —The Editors
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- makes 12 cupcakes
whole chocolate creme sandwich cookies
1 1/2 cups
(180 grams) all-purpose flour
(198 grams) granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons
(5 grams) baking powder
(3 grams) fine sea salt
large eggs (113 grams), at room temperature
(115 grams) whole milk, at room temperature
(75 grams) sour cream
(80 grams) vegetable oil
(10 grams) vanilla extract
chocolate creme sandwich cookies, crushed fairly finely
1 1/2 cups
(170 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
(12-ounce) can (340 grams) sweetened condensed milk
(56 grams) marshmallow fluff (optional)
(5 grams) vanilla extract
chocolate creme sandwich cookies, crushed finely
- Make the cake: Heat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners. Place a whole sandwich cookie in the base of each muffin liner.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together to combine. In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs well to combine. Add the milk, sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla and whisk well to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a silicone spatula until well combined. Add the crushed cookies and fold until evenly incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan using an ice cream scoop, filling each cavity three-quarters full.
- Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs, 17 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the butter on medium speed until it is very light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Scrape the bowl well about halfway through whipping. The butter should be lighter in color and visibly aerated.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk gradually, in two or three additions. Whip the milk into the butter on medium speed and scrape the bowl well once it’s fully incorporated before adding the next addition.
- When the two are fully combined, add the marshmallow creme (if using) and the vanilla. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip, or cut a ½-inch/1-centimeter opening from the end of the bag. Place the crushed cookies in a shallow layer on a plate.
- Pipe a rounded mound onto the center of each cupcake, then gently roll the sides of each cupcake in cookie crumbs.