Flavorful Wagyu flank steak is stuffed with spinach, feta, parmesan, onions, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. Wrapped with twine, seared on a flat top griddle, and finished in the oven, this hearty and delicious dish is perfect for family gatherings! Try this recipe for lunch or dinner! —Double8Cattle
- Prep time 1 hour
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
Double 8 Cattle Company Fullblood Wagyu Flank Steak
Grapeseed Oil (plus additional for griddle)
Large Yellow Onion (julienned)
Fresh Baby Spinach (stems removed)
Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
Sun-Dried Tomatoes (minced)
Artichoke Hearts (minced)
Kosher Salt (to season)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to season)
- Tools - Saute Pan, Large Pot, Wooden Spoon, Plastic Wrap, 3 Large Metal Bowls, Flat Top Griddle, Butcher’s Twine, Meat Mallet, Rimmed Baking Sheet with Parchment Paper
- FIRST STEP Take the Fullblood Wagyu flank steak out of the freezer, and place it in the refrigerator 24 hours before starting this recipe.
- PREPARING THE SPINACH FILLING Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in the grapeseed oil. Once the oil is slightly smoking, add in the julienned onions. Once the onions have started to caramelize, add in the dry sherry and deglaze the pan. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. Once the onions are soft and caramelized, remove them from the heat. Allow them to let cool, and reserve. Bring a large pot with 3 quarts of water to a boil. Place the spinach in a large metal bowl, and pour the boiling water over it. Let the spinach wilt, and then drain off the water. Place the spinach in a fresh bowl, and pour cold water (with a few ice cubes) over it to stop the cooking process. Let the spinach sit in the ice water for 2 minutes. Then, squeeze all of the water out of the spinach, and place the spinach in a clean bowl. Add the feta, shredded parmesan, minced sundried tomatoes, minced artichoke hearts, and cooked onions to the spinach bowl. Mix well. Season the filling to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- PREPARING THE STUFFED WAGYU FLANK STEAK Place the Wagyu flank steak on a cutting board, and cover it with plastic wrap. Working with the smooth side of the meat mallet, pound out the flank steak until it is about a half inch thick throughout. Remove the plastic wrap, and sprinkle the steak with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the spinach filling down the center, lengthwise, of the steak. Roll the steak over the filling, making a tight log. Cut a 3-foot-long piece of butcher’s twine. Working lengthwise, tie the twine around the flank steak at one end. Then, tie it around the steak every two inches until you reach the other end. Once you get to the end, turn the stuffed flank steak over. Weave the twine over and under the twine that is already wrapped around the flank, fully securing the twine. Tie the twine off at the end, and season the stuffed flank with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- FINAL STEPS Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat a large flat top griddle on medium-high heat. Add just enough grapeseed oil to cover the surface. Place the stuffed, twine-wrapped flank steak on the hot griddle. Sear for 3 minutes per side or until it’s a nice golden brown. Once the stuffed Wagyu flank steak is seared on all sides, place it on a rimmed baking sheet (lined with parchment paper). Cook the flank steak for 15 minutes in the oven. Pull the flank steak from the oven, and let it rest for 15 minutes. Remove the twine, and slice the stuffed flank steak into 1-inch-thick pinwheels. Serve warm, and enjoy!