- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- makes 1 quart
This is a delicate, simple, all purpose tomato sauce. it's really just a doctored up passata that can fill in for any marinara. it's inspired by the sweet, orange tomato sauce you get in my mother's hometown on the Adriatic coast of Italy.
This can also be made with fresh tomatoes (and should be!!) when tomatoes are in peak season. Substitute the passata for 1 kg of peeled and seeded fresh tomatoes. Extra cook time may be necessary to let the tomatoes reduce.
This can absolutely be made vegan. It will still be delicious without the butter. —lisina
bottled tomato puree. I like Mutti
large yellow onion, roughly chopped
carrot, roughly chopped
celery stalks, roughly chopped
rind of parmigiano reggiano
extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
- Warm olive oil over medium heat in a small (2 qt) saucepan.
- Add chopped vegetables, adding salt, and sweat until soft.
- Add tomato and parm rind to soft vegetables. Bring to a gentle simmer and partially cover. Simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Remove parm rind and transfer sauce to a blender. Add the butter and puree until very smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over pasta or use in place of marinara.