I named these because of the addition of orange and orange zest and because the chocolate is reminiscent of a Mexican mole'. This is a rich sauce that can pair well with a big California Cabernet Sauvignon.
I named these because of the addition of orange and orange zest and because the chocolate is reminiscent of a Mexican mole'. This is a rich sauce that can pair well with a big California Cabernet Sauvignon.—dymnyno
Serves: serves 10
6 pounds beef short ribs, bone in (be sure and ask your butcher for the meaty end only)
2 cups sweet yellow onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cups carrots, chopped
1 whole bottle dry red wine (I used Cabernet)
1 cup sweet vermouth (I use Vya)
1 cup canned tomatoes, (hopefully your own, chopped)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tablespoon bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons orange zest
olive oil to saute shortribs and vegetables
- Salt and pepper the ribs and brown them on all sides in a little olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- When the ribs are browned on all sides, remove them from the pot. Pour off the fat in the pot, then add a little olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and the thyme to the pot and saute' them until the onion becomes translucent and remove them from the pot.
- Add the red wine and the vermouth to the pot and reduce by half.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Add the meat and vegetables back to the pot.
- Add enough water to almost cover the shortribs.
- Put the lid on the dutch oven and braise the shortribs in a 275 degree oven for about 3 hours or until very tender.
- Remove from the oven; using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- Remove the vegetables and thyme and press to extract all the juice that you can. Discard the vegetables.
- Heat the sauce and add the chocolate, orange zest and reduce until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. It will probably be thick enough without much reducing.
- Return the meat back to the pot and reheat.
- Serve with sauce poured over the meat and garnish with orange zest.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs