If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I named these because of the addition of orange and orange zest and because the chocolate is reminiscent of a Mexican mole'. This is a rich sauce that can pair well with a big California Cabernet Sauvignon. —dymnyno
Serves: serves 10
6 pounds beef short ribs, bone in (be sure and ask your butcher for the meaty end only)
2 cups sweet yellow onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cups carrots, chopped
1 whole bottle dry red wine (I used Cabernet)
1 cup sweet vermouth (I use Vya)
1 cup canned tomatoes, (hopefully your own, chopped)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tablespoon bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons orange zest
olive oil to saute shortribs and vegetables
- Salt and pepper the ribs and brown them on all sides in a little olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- When the ribs are browned on all sides, remove them from the pot. Pour off the fat in the pot, then add a little olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and the thyme to the pot and saute' them until the onion becomes translucent and remove them from the pot.
- Add the red wine and the vermouth to the pot and reduce by half.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Add the meat and vegetables back to the pot.
- Add enough water to almost cover the shortribs.
- Put the lid on the dutch oven and braise the shortribs in a 275 degree oven for about 3 hours or until very tender.
- Remove from the oven; using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- Remove the vegetables and thyme and press to extract all the juice that you can. Discard the vegetables.
- Heat the sauce and add the chocolate, orange zest and reduce until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. It will probably be thick enough without much reducing.
- Return the meat back to the pot and reheat.
- Serve with sauce poured over the meat and garnish with orange zest.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs