To use all purpose flour in place of self-rising flour: Mix 2 cups of all-purpose flour with 1 tablespoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt. —Food52
Watch This Recipe
Buttermilk Drop Biscuits & Sausage Gravy From Millie Peartree
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 8
- Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
(1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen
buttermilk, whole milk or 2%
- Sausage Gravy
extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion
ground chicken, turkey, or spicy sausages, casings removed and meat crumbled
2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning or 1 teaspoon each of ground sage and thyme (omit if using sausage instead of chicken or turkey)
cayenne pepper (optional)
garlic powder (omit if using sausage)
1 1/2 cups
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Make the biscuits: To a medium-sized bowl, add flour. Using the large holes of a box grated, grate butter over the flour, then stir to evenly distribute.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients (flour and butter). Pour the milk in the well and stir, just until the dough comes together and way from the walls of the bowl, about 30 seconds. For the most flaky, tender biscuits, do not over mix.
- Grease or line baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, scoop batter onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until the biscuits are golden in color and slightly puffy. Serve warm by themselves or with the gravy below.
- Make the gravy: In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground meat plus seasonings (or sausage) and cook until browned, about 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To the meat-onion mixture, add the butter to the pan until melted and foamy.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently so it's incorporated into the mixture and no big, white lumps remain.
- Gradually add stock and milk alternately, stirring constantly, and bring to boil until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes, then readjust seasoning to taste.
- To serve, split biscuits in half. Place 2 halves each on 8 plates; top with about 1/3 cup gravy. Garnish with fresh parsley, if using.