Wagyu Steak Marsala with Wild Mushrooms
February 2, 2022
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Serves 2
Seared Wagyu filet mignon steak is served with a creamy mushroom Marsala sauce and pasta. Finished with a sprinkle of minced chives, this dish is delicious, filling, and elegant! This recipe is perfect for a special occasion or anytime you're craving a tender and juicy Wagyu filet mignon steak! —Double8Cattle
What You'll Need
Double 8 Cattle Company Fullblood Wagyu Filet Mignon Steaks
Yellow Onion (peeled, julienned)
Garlic Cloves (peeled, minced)
Medium-Size Chanterelle Mushrooms (torn into half-inch-thick pieces)
Medium-Size Shiitake Mushrooms (sliced)
Medium-Size Cremini Mushrooms (sliced)
Cooked Pasta (of your choice)
- Tools - Pie Pan, Cast Iron Skillet, Large Pot
- FIRST STEP Take the Fullblood Wagyu filet mignon steaks out of the freezer, and place them in the refrigerator 24 hours before starting this recipe.
- PREPARING THE WAGYU STEAKS Take the thawed Fullblood Wagyu filet mignon steaks out of the refrigerator, and place them on a plate at room temperature. Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil (to be used for cooking the pasta of your choice). In a pie pan, mix together the kosher salt, black pepper, and flour. This is your flour mixture. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, and add in the grapeseed oil and olive oil. Dredge the Wagyu steaks in the flour mixture, coating the steaks on all sides. Once the oil is slightly smoking in the cast iron skillet, add the Wagyu steaks to the pan. Let the Wagyu steaks sear on 3 sides for 3 minutes per side. Then, remove the seared Wagyu steaks from the skillet. Reserve.
- PREPARING THE PASTA Place the pasta in the pot of boiling water, and cook per package instructions. Start the Marsala while the pasta is cooking. Drain the cooked pasta, and keep warm until ready to use.
- PREPARING THE MUSHROOM MARSALA SAUCE Add the peeled and julienned yellow onion to the cast iron skillet (that the steaks were seared in), and saute for 2 minutes. Then, add the Marsala wine, torn Chanterelle mushrooms, sliced Shiitake mushrooms, sliced Cremini mushrooms, whole sprig of thyme, minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and beef stock. Let the mushrooms and onions cook down over medium heat for 10 minutes or until they are soft and the liquid is reduced to about 1 cup (remaining). Then, add in the heavy cream, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the seared Fullblood Wagyu file mignon steaks to the pan with the mushroom Marsala sauce, and cook for 4 minutes for medium-rare or 6 minutes for medium.
- FINAL STEPS Remove the skillet from the heat, and discard the thyme sprig. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve the Fullblood Wagyu filet mignon steaks with the mushroom Marsala sauce and the cooked pasta (it also works well with mashed potatoes if you prefer that over pasta). Garnish with minced chives, and enjoy!
See what other Food52ers are saying.