Author Notes: Just 4 basic ingredients – apple, beetroot, orange and raw spinach.
This salad is exactly what it says – it’s a mixture of ingredients that cleanses and detoxes your body.
It’s the kind of salad your body craves for the day after a party with lots of food and wine. It gives your digestive system a break!. —Maria Teresa Jorge
handfuls raw baby spinach
small or 1 large green apple
small roasted or boiled beetroot cut in pieces
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wash the baby spinach and pat dry with a kitchen towl. Set aside.
- Wash the apple very well. Keep the apple whole and hold the part with the stem. Cut the whole apple very thinly on a mandolin with a straight blade, with seeds and all (the pectin in the seeds is really good for your body).
- Beetroot – I prefer to roast the beetroot but you can use boiled or pre-cooked. After cooked, discard any peel or stem parts. Cut in irregular pieces and put them in kitchen paper towel to absorb any extra juices. Set aside.
- Peel the orange cutting right down to the flesh and removing the skin and all the white pith. Hold the orange in one hand over a bowl and using a sharp knife, cut between the membranes and put the orange wedges in the bowl. Squeeze the juice that is left in the membranes in the bowl.
- Put a handful of spinach on a plate. Add the round apple slices making a flower.
- Add half the beetroot and half the orange segments.
- Drizzle lightly with Olive Oil, the orange juice and a little balsamic glaze.Add a pinch of salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples