Avocado & Green Curry Noodle Salad From Lisa Lin
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes
- Serves 3 to 4
Celebrate the fresh flavors of spring and summer with this noodle salad that features a quick, garlic-infused oil and a creamy sauce starring California Avocados and green curry paste. California Avocado gives the sauce a luxurious texture, while the herbs and lime juice bring a zippy brightness. For a light crunch, don’t skip the carrot ribbons—they create a beautiful contrast with the noodles.
The store-bought green curry paste that I used for the sauce is pretty mild; some brands make their green curry paste a bit spicy, so I recommend that you taste it first. If the paste is spicy to your taste, use 1 or 2 teaspoons of paste and add more as needed. A quick make-ahead tip: You can prep the sauce a day or two ahead and keep it refrigerated in a jar, you just might need to loosen it up with a splash of water before tossing with the noodles when you’re ready to eat. —Lisa Lin
Test Kitchen Notes
This recipe is shared in partnership with California Avocados. —The Editors
- For the noodle salad:
cloves garlic, minced
wide noodles (Chinese-style wide wheat noodles or wide rice noodles)
large California Avocado, peeled and pit removed
lime, zested and juiced
cilantro, loosely packed
basil, loosely packed
scallions, roughly chopped
canned coconut milk
green curry paste (see Author Note)
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/4 teaspoons
kosher salt, plus more to taste (I used Diamond Crystal)
- For the garnishes:
California Avocado, peeled and sliced
Fresh scallions, sliced
Toasted sesame seeds
Chili flakes (optional)
- Place the minced garlic in a small, heat-proof bowl (like ceramic or stainless steel). Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Carefully pour the hot oil over the minced garlic and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cook noodles according to the package directions. Once the noodles are cooked, reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid, then rinse the noodles under cold water, drain, and transfer to a large bowl. Pour the garlic and oil over the noodles and toss together.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrots to create carrot ribbons. Toss the carrots with the noodles.
- To make the sauce, add the California Avocado, lime juice and zest, reserved cooking liquid from the noodles, cilantro, basil, scallions, canned coconut milk, curry paste, sugar, and salt into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend all the ingredients until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Toss the noodles and carrots with the avocado and green curry sauce. Garnish with slices of avocado, scallions, toasted sesame seeds, and chili flakes (optional) and serve.
See what other Food52ers are saying.