- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Serves 4
What You'll Need
- Roasted Garlic Aioli
large garlic head
Extra-virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
- Cacio e Pepe Potatoes
medium white potatoes, such as Maris Piper or Russet
2 1/2 teaspoons
whole black peppercorns
freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Heat the oven to 350°F with the convection setting on if you have one; if you don’t have a convection setting, heat the oven to 375°F. Trim the top from the garlic head so the cloves are exposed. Place on an aluminum foiled-lined baking sheet, cut-side up, and drizzle with olive oil. Tightly wrap the potatoes with foil and roast for 45 minutes, until the garlic is caramelized. Squeeze the cloves into a bowl and mash with a fork to form a paste. Add the mayo and black pepper and mix until smooth. Stick the mixture in the fridge.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Thinly slice into circles (about ¼-inch-thick). Add these to a large pot of cold, salted water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 2 1/2 to 5 minutes, until just fork-tender but still holding shape.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add peppercorns to a small skillet over medium heat. Toast for about 5 minutes, shaking occasionally, until fragrant. Transfer the peppercorns to a mortar and finely crush into little pieces (but not a powder).
- Lightly drizzle a nonstick rimmed sheet pan with olive oil. Evenly sprinkle over 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan, covering the pan as much as possible.
- Drain the potatoes, blot them dry, and add to a large bowl. Add the olive oil, garlic powder, sea salt, and most of the pepper (reserving ¼ tsp for garnish). Using a silicone spatula, gently mix to combine.
- Carefully place the potatoes on top of the Parmesan, making sure not to overlap. Evenly cover the potatoes with about 1/3 cup of Parmesan.
- Increase the oven to 375°F with the convection setting on if you have one; if you don’t have a convection setting, increase the oven to 400°F. Bake the potatoes for about 40 minutes, rotating the tray halfway, until the cheese is golden and the potatoes are crispy.
- Remove from the oven, then immediately transfer the cheesy potatoes to a serving tray. Top with the remaining Parmesan, reserved pepper, and flaky salt. Serve with roasted garlic aioli for dipping.