If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad was born out of a mid-day meal my sister would make during the summer when we were both working (come visit us during the summer in Fire Island!). We eat salad a lot, for the obvious reasons, it's fast and quick if you want to actually go for a swim also. I used the same roasted apples and dressing used in my Crab Apple Salad and added some hot potatoes that I roasted underneath a chicken. They are covered in schmaltz and are a great match with room temperature sweet tart roasted apples, dried cranberries, and a few sharp shards of feta. The spinach goes a little wilty with the hot potatoes. It is a true pantry salad. —testkitchenette
Serves 2 (but i ate it all myself)
Honey Mustard Yogurt Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Greek style yogurt or any good quality yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mustard of your choice
- 1 heaping tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon capers
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. I used my immersion blender to emulsify everything.
Hot Cold Salad with Apples
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 1 potato, I used what I had roasted underneath a chicke. You could also roast with duck fat or olive oil
- 5-6 big handfuls spinach or mesclun greens
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces feta, broken into shards
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425F and toss the apples, honey, olive oil, and lemon juice in on a baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes, until apples get some color but are still firm. Set aside and try not to eat.
- In a large bowl toss the roasted apples, hot roasted potatoes, spinach, cranberries, and feta together. Toss with the amount of dressing you like. I go for an even but not goopy coating. Taste for seasoning and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples