If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Taratur is a traditional Macedonian summer side dish or dip (it can be served either way) which is similar to Tzatziki, but it is not the same. The variations are in the extra ingredients used in Taratur and in the thickness of the yogurt; the yogurt used for Tzatziki is as thick as a spread, whereas the yogurt for Taratur is a lot thinner because Taratur is meant to be either eaten with a spoon or dipped in with a piece of crunchy rustic piece of bread. - Diethood —Diethood
Food52 Review: So yummy. This refreshing dip teasingly reminded me of the flavors of summer when I made it on a chilly wintry evening. The cool cucumbers, tangy yogurt, aromatic mint and the little kick provided by the garlic worked really well together, and the walnuts (which I toasted to amp up the nutty flavor) gave this dip a wonderful bit of crunch. I served this with warm pita bread, but it would also be sublime with falafel or grilled lamb. I suggest adding the raw garlic according to taste, so that it doesn’t overwhelm the dish. For me and my tasters one big clove was just about right. Nice recipe -- and very versatile! —cookinginvictoria
large cucumber, chopped
cloves of garlic, minced
cup plain yogurt
cup walnuts, ground (put a couple of tablespoons of ground walnuts aside for sprinkling on top of the dip)
teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
teaspoon dried mint
- Chop up the cucumbers and try to absorb as much of the moisture as possible by drying off the cucumber pieces with a paper towel.
- Place the cucumbers in a bowl.
- Mince the garlic and add it to the cucumbers.
- Sprinkle on the salt and mix it all together.
- Pour in the yogurt.
- Mix it well and add in the ground walnuts; blend.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top, sprinkle with the rest of the ground walnuts and add the mint.
- Chill before serving it in an individual, cup-sized bowl.