If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was traveling for much of last week and didn't have a chance to post several of the ideas I had around last week's theme. Some I'm still working on, but this one is ready for press. Now that I'm back in town with the deadline long gone, I thought I'd post it anyway. I love bitter winter greens combined with fruit and a sweet-ish / spicy-ish dressing. In this salad, the crisp sweetness of Fuji apples paired with eggs are a great balance for winter bitter greens like Frisee. The dressing hints at sweetness too, from the pomegranate molasses. —TheWimpyVegetarian
Serves 2 lunches as a main dish
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated pecorino cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and smash the garlic cloves. Chop up and place in the bowl of a mortar and pestle. Sprinkle on a pinch of salt, and smash up vigorously with the pestle until the garlic cloves start to liquify and become somewhat smooth.
- With the pestle, a small whisk or a fork, stir in the vinegar and pomegranate molasses until well combined. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, followed by the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside until the salad is made.
Winter Greens and Apple Salad with Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 2-3 large eggs (depending on how much egg you want)
- 1 large head of frisee, separated from the core (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups baby spinach greens (arugula works well here too!)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced with the peels left on (Fugi works great here!)
- 2 tablespoons pecorino cheese
- Place the frisee and baby spinach in a medium bowl.
- Hard boil the eggs to where they are just barely hard boiled (10-12 minutes). Drain and peel as quickly as you can handle the eggs. While still warm to the touch, grate into the bowl with the frisee and spinach using the largest holes on the grater and toss.
- Quickly add the apples, scallions and pecorino. Add the dressing and toss so that everything is lightly covered. Adjust for salt and pepper and serve.