Author Notes: Growing up, eggplant was a welcomed ingredient in many of the dishes my parents and grandparents prepared. Eggplant caviar; eggplant slices topped with garlic, mayonnaise and cheese and then baked in the oven until the cheese sizzled and was ready to be sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley; and of course ratatouille were some of my favorite dishes.
I've already shared a recipe for Eggplant & Tomato Dip. This recipe, uses the same main ingredients (eggplant and tomatoes), but also incorporates some of my favorite Indian flavors.
—Olga of Mango & Tomato
- 1 eggplant, roasted in 450F oven for an hour, cooled, peeled, mashed
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt & pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip