In this increment weather, who's screaming for ice cream full of warm spices? —SanuraJamila
What You'll Need
Vanilla Chai Ice Cream
organic, whole milk
grated or ground nutmeg
organic heavy cream
Banana Pecan Bread
3 to 4
melted butter, cooled (or use good quality olive oil)
1/2 to 3/4 cups
sugar, amount is based on personal taste
whole wheat flour
1 to 2 cups
pecans or any nut; roughly chopped and more for garnish
Directions for making Vanilla Chai Ice Cream:
1. Warm the milk and spices in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk the eggs with the sugar in a separate bowl.
2. Slowly add warm milk by an eighth a cup to the egg mixture and continue to whisk.
3. Pour the milk and egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat slowly over medium-low heat until thickened. Stir mixture constantly until it’s similar to a liquid pudding. Do not let the mixture boil!
4. Place mixture in a sealed container and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
5. Add chill egg and milk mixture to a bowl. Whisk in cream and vanilla to form the Vanilla Chai Ice Cream base.
6. Add base to your ice cream maker, and follow manufacturer’s directions.
7. Depending on the ice cream maker’s brand, if custard is similar to the texture of a slightly firm soft-serve ice cream, place custard in a sealed container in the freezer. Chill until firm.
Directions for making Banana Pecan Bread:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas.
3. Mix in the remaining ingredients.
4. Pour banana batter into loaf pan. Garnish with nuts.
5. Place in the oven and bake from 50 minutes to one hour.
6. Let cool on a wire rack.