Food52 Review: I'm officially in love with cardamom. Who knew that those pretty green pods possessed the ability to transform a humble plain yogurt into a lovely little something that could make me go "Mmmm!" The subtle earthiness of the saffron plays well with the cardamom and adds a beautiful yellow color, while the bits of pistachio add a welcome and complimentary crunch. I made this three times with different types of greek yogurt, using three cardamom pods. Each yogurt varied a bit in density, so I added additional water to get it to a drinkable, yet still thick consistency. The most difficult part of making this was not eating it all before the flavors had a chance to blend. Next time, I'll double it for sure. —SwoonMySpoon
tablespoons powdered sugar
tablespoons hot water
tablespoon shelled pistachios
more pistachios to serve
- In a small bowl, crumble the saffron into 1 tablespoon of the water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the yogurt, powdered sugar, crushed cardamom seeds and crushed pistachios in a large bowl. Stir in the saffron and water mix. Combine well.
- Refrigerate, whisking a few times, until cold and brightly colored, about 1 hour. Pour into medium glasses and serve with some crushed pistachios on top.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom