Author Notes: Winter in the Midwest, it can be relentless! As is testament, I look out my doorway on this blustery Ohio morning and see what appears to be an endless field of ice. I’m imagining many souls waking to the same who have to venture forth to their work places and feeling fortunate that I am able to work from home. I also imagine many of those same folks who are trudging out, slipping and sliding about, and heaven forbid, maybe even a fall or two.
It is under these pretenses that I issue this directive:
Stay home! Call in sick. Do what ever you have to avoid the madness and stay home to a nice, long, leisurely breakfast! The economy will still suck tomorrow but you will avoid all the nastiness mother nature has hurled at us- And possibly avoid a serious fall or car crash that could cause you a few bumps and bruises.
Trade them instead for this fabulous recipe: —eaterie
Black and Blue Spelt Pancakes
- 1 cup plus approximately 2-3 Tbsp light, stone ground spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking poowder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted Saigon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Egg.beaten
- 3/4 cup Milke
- 1/4 cup Organic Yogart
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture, set aside. Combine the egg, milk, yogurt, vanilla and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Add additional milk to thin batter if necessary.
- For standard-size pancakes, pour or spread about _ cup batter into a 3-inch circle on a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm.
Black and Blue Sauce
- 1 cup Grade A Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1 cup Fresh Blackberries
- 1 tablespoon Raw Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Boil 1 cup syrup, blueberries, honey and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan until reduced to generous 1 cup, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool to lukewarm. Toss in Blackberries just before serving and pour over pancakes. Garnish with a dusting of confectioners sugar and grated lemon zest.