Author Notes: This recipe combines two of my favorite comfort foods: chai tea and oatmeal. The oatmeal is scented with the wonderful flavors of cinnamon, ginger, and of course cardamom. —Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
cup milk (I use skim)
1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
teaspoon maple syrup or honey, optional
- Combine the water, milk, ginger and spices in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over a medium flame and then immediately remove from the heat.
- Cover the saucepan and let the milk sit for about 1/2 hour.
- After the milk has been steeping for about 1/2 hour, drain it, discarding the ginger and spices and putting the flavored milk back in the saucepan.
- Add the oatmeal to the saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the oatmeal is as soft as you like it.
- Sweeten, if desired. Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom