If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Different from the classic osso bucco recipe, the taste is almost light - for a totally hearty stick to your ribs winter meal! Serve with lemon risotto or beans flavored with lemon or even boiled potatoes. Mmmm marrow. - mcrice —Canned
Food52 Review: This non-traditional osso buco dish is light, tasty and simple to make. The tender veal shanks are nestled in a fragrant lemony leek broth. The plump Cerignola olives add a nice briny bite to the meat. Serve with a lemon risotto as mcrice suggests -- delicious! —jvcooks
veal shanks, about 2 inches thick
tablespoon olive oil
leeks, white and light green part, rinsed and sliced into half moons
good-sized cloves of garlic, minced
cup dry white wine
lemons, zested and then juiced, preferably Meyer lemons
large green Sicilian olives, pitted unless you trust your eaters and warn them about pits. If you can't find the large green ones (I think they are called Cerignolas), try with Kalamatas which are easy to find
teaspoon rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
cups veal or chicken stock (if I don't have homemade on hand, I use a veal base from R. L. Schreiber which I think is good for cooking and keeps forever)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Dust veal shanks with the seasoned flour.
- Add olive oil to a flameproof baking dish with a lid and heat over high heat until almost smoking.
- Add the shanks and brown well on all sides. Do not be a scaredy cat - brown well.
- Reduce the heat and add the leeks and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes. Add the white wine and boil about four minutes. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olives and enough stock so that the veal shanks are almost covered.
- Cover pot with lid and bake for 30 minutes. Add rosemary, return to oven covered and bake for an additional hour until veal is tender.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives