If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I decided to re- connect with eggplant on a very basic level. Aubergines Frits may sound fancy, but it simply means Fried Eggplant - breaded and fried eggplant. These are perfect for side dishes or as a snack. This would also be the first step in making Eggplant Parmesan. The steps in which I let the eggplant slices sit in salt is to leech the bitterness from it. I had a small eggplant and it made 12 pieces total. —TheFriendlyFoodieGirl
Serves 4 (3 pieces each)
pinch Fresh ground black pepper
tablespoons Olive Oil
- Cover a baking sheet in an even layer of salt.
- Wash eggplant and cut into medallions approx 1/2 inch thick or thinner. Place on baking tray and cover eggplant slices evenly with more salt.
- Allow eggplant slices to sit for 30 minutes and then rinse them off. Pat dry.
- Season breadcrumbs to taste.
- Whisk buttermilk and eggs together.
- Dip eggplant slices in buttermilk and egg mixture
- Dredge in breadcrumbs. Make sure you have good coverage!
- Put the slices on a plate, cover and place in the refrigerator. By doing this, the breading will set around the eggplant, so that when it's frying, it won't fall off. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes.
- Turn heat on medium and coat frying pan with olive oil. Fry slices until browned on the outside.
- Drain on a plate covered with papertowel.
- Serve warm!