If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love tabouli, but rarely use bulgur wheat to make it: Sometimes I use quinoa and sometimes I use amaranth. For this recipe, I used millet. Cara Cara oranges are sold under the Sunkist label where I live and I love their sweet flavor. If you can't find them, use blood oranges or your favorite winter citrus. - WinnieAb —WinnieAb
Food52 Review: WinnieAb's tabouli is a bright, fresh-tasting, and unique version of tabouli. The Cara Cara oranges were a surprisingly delicious combination mixed with tomatoes, green olives and cucumbers and made me want to use this combination of fruit and vegetables way more often. This recipe was also a good way to introduce millet to some picky eaters—they loved the tabouli and after they learned what was in it, new millet fans were made! —VanessaS
- 1 cup millet
- 3 cups water
- 1.5 cups minced parsley (I used curly, but flat is fine, too)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 Cara Cara or blood oranges, peeled with a sharp knife so there is no pith, then diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced pitted green olives (I used Divina Organics brand)
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Rinse millet in a fine mesh strainer. Add to medium pot on the stove with the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes, covered, then uncover and allow to cool to room temperature. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine 1 cup of the millet (save the rest for another use) with the remainder of the ingredients and 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix well and place in the refrigerator for several hours for the flavors to meld.
- Allow tabouli to come to room temperature, then drizzle with the final tablespoon of olive oil and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives