Author Notes: Duck prosciutto Made according to Ruhlman's book is a secret weapon in this soup. The fat melts away and the duck meat is tender and sublimely flavorful. It is the best lentil soup that I have ever made. Making the duck prosciutto was fun and easy. Don't be tempted to add other herbs and spices. The duck prosciutto does ALL the work! I made a very thick soup, but you can add some more water to thin it out a bit if you wish.
*****Note: If you don't make your own duck prosciutto, I have seen it at Dean & Deluca. —dymnyno
1 cup beluga lentils
4 cups water
1 cup yellow onion, medium dice
1 stalk celery, medium dice
1 carrot, grated
1 cup canned tomatoes
1/2 cup duck breast prosciutto, cubed
- Saute the onions, celery and carrots in a little olive oil.
- Add the lentils and cover with the water.
- After the lentils are cooked (about 20 minutes) add more water to soup consistency.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add the prosciutto.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Charcuterie / The Charcutepalooza Grand Prize Challenge