Author Notes: This pudding is a marriage between Thai coffee, made with sweetened condensed milk, and tapioca pudding. It is simple, tasty and not too sweet, but it does pack a caffeine wallop! I use a metal drip filter, of the type you see in Thai/Vietnamese restaurants, but espresso is wonderful too. - MaryMaryCulinary —MaryMaryCulinary
Food52 Review: This clever, stress-free recipe turns sweet Thai coffee into a lovely, full-fledged dessert. Throw a dinner party, end with this, make your guests very happy. Be sure to use the best coffee you've got and make it good and strong. —Kristen Miglore
cups water (you may need more, depending on your tapioca)
cup small pearl tapioca
cup sweetened condensed milk
very strong coffee or espresso, about 2 tablespoons per serving
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add tapioca, and reduce heat so it boils gently. Cook, stirring often, for 20-25 minutes, until tapioca is clear and mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat and add condensed milk, stirring to combine. Pour into small bowls or ramekins or coffee cups and set aside while you make the coffee. The tapioca will be very sweet at this point, but the coffee will correct that.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons strong, hot, unsweetened coffee over each serving. Stir and enjoy.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Made with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding