Author Notes: Inspired by south Indian kesari. This variation is by no means traditional but it does have a bit more lightness to it. —Joshdaddy
cups whole milk
tablespoons golden raisins
teaspoons almond slivers
cup wheat farina
In This Recipe
- Place milk, raisins, almonds, vanilla, and one cup of sugar into a heavy sauce pan. Heat over a medium flame, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until the mixture is smooth and light.
- When the milk mixture starts to give off steam (around 140 degrees F), lower the flame to a simmer.
- Temper the egg yolks (transfer a couple of tablespoons at a time of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking in as you do).
- Once you have added about 1/2 cup of hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, transfer the mixture back into the sauce pan, stirring constantly as you do.
- Add the wheat farina and stir constantly for 4-5 minutes, until the cereal starts to set. If you are using a thermometer, you should let the mixture get to about 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat, add the tumeric, and mix.
- Let the custard stand for another ten minutes, stir, then transfer to individual serving dishes. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding