If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To me, the scents of pumpkin and quinoa warm up a room and make an incredible combination of nutty, sweet and creamy all at once. What began as a wish for a simple bright bowl to warm an unseasonably cool day turned into what is now my favorite soup. —KateAlice.
- 2 pounds pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthways
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1.75 cups quinoa flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, extra
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add the pumpkin, carrot, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Continue to boil until the pumpkin is soft
- Strain the vegetables and keep the water, which is now your vegetable broth/stock. Remove and discard the carrot. Put the pumpkin back into the saucepan and mash
- Add the milk and sugar, stir and then bring to the boil
- Add 2 cups of the vegetable broth back to the saucepan, followed by the quinoa flakes and extra nutmeg. You can discard the other 2 cups of broth, or use for another purpose
- Simmer on medium for 20 minutes
- Puree in a blender or with a hand-held mixer, and then serve