If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: First off, I love carrots and I love this challenge. When I was a baby I ate so much carrot baby food I turned orange. So expect to see a few recipes from me this week... We'll see if I gain an orange hue.
This recipe is a homage to my new home. Yes, it is Moroccan in origin, but Moroccan Carrot Salad is an integral part of the Israeli mezze spread and is served in homes and restaurants across the country. The dish varies from piquant to unbearably fiery so adjust to suit your taste. This is a fairly mild rendition. Red chili flakes could also be another source of heat.
This dish is typically served cold or room temperature, and only gets better with age, so it's the perfect make ahead side or starter. Really it's best with an array of other dishes that make up a mezze, like baba ghanouj, hummus, tahina dip, and Turkish salad (a red sauce-like dip). —kmartinelli
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side/appetizer/mezze
Prep time: 1 hrs 20 min
Cook time: 10 min
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoons hot paprika
cups chopped cilantro or parsley
teaspoon harissa or chopped chili pepper (optional, more to taste)
pinch salt, more to taste
- Cook the carrots in boiling water until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and rinse under cold water. Slice on a bias into thin coin-shaped slices.
- Mix together the garlic, chili powder, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, parsley, and harissa (if using) and toss with the sliced carrots. Season with salt.
- Let stand at room temperature or in the fridge at least 1 hour, or in the fridge up to 2 days (the carrots will only get more flavorful with time). Serve cold or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe