Author Notes: In my fridge I had a head of green cabbage, apples, a nub of ginger, and three carrots and didn't feel like going to the market to get anything else. I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshing results. —MamaIntheKitchen
Medium Green Cabbage
1 large or 2 small
Apples- Granny Smith or Jonah Gold
tablespoon Ginger root
tablespoons Rice wine Vinegar
teaspoons Seasame oil
tablespoon Light Soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
- Slice Cabbage into thin 1/8" strips and put into large bowl.
- Shred/ grate Carrots with coarse side of box grater. Add to bowl with Cabbage.
- Peel and core Apple and cut into matchsticks. Add to bowl with Cabbage and Carrots. Put aside
- Peel Ginger root and grate with medium side of box grater and put in small bowl or cup. Add 3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and light soy sauce.
- Pour liquid over cabbage mixture and toss all ingredients together so well coated. Let sit for 15-30 minuted before serving so cabbage absorbs vinegar. Add additional tablespoon of vinegar if desired.
- Great refreshing side for Pork buns or dumplings.