Author Notes: Some things are best left alone, or very close to left alone. I see carrots as one of those things. My mom taught me how to roast root vegetables long ago and there really isn't one thing to improve upon. These carrots are delicious, sweet, and so simple to prepare. —chez danisse
bunch young carrots
fresh coarse ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a heavy baking sheet with foil.
- Trim greens from carrots, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of green stem at the top.
- Wash carrots. I don't peel if they are young and look smooth. No need.
- Pat carrots dry and arrange on baking sheet.
- Drizzle carrots with olive oil and then rub oil over carrots so each one is completely glazed with oil.
- Sprinkle with good salt and fresh coarse ground pepper.
- Bake until slightly wrinkled and soft. Timing will depend on the size of your carrots and your oven. I usually take my first look at 20 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe