Author Notes: This recipe is a comforting down-home combination of roasted sweet onions, rutabagas, and carrots. It is very simple but very pleasing. Roasting the vegetables adds great flavor bringing more depth to the already sweet roots. This makes it appealing to even the pickiest palates. That, combined with its' simplicity keeps it in my regular rotation. - Waverly —Waverly
Food52 Review: Yogi Berra once said, “It ain’t over till it’s over.” Keep that in mind when you make this delightful side dish. The pureed roasted vegetables were okay, but nothing special. Once I stirred in the butter and tarragon, however, I was stunned by how two ingredients could utterly transform a dish. Who would ever have thought that tarragon, which more typically is used in delicately flavored fish dishes and in refined sauces, would go so perfectly with this hearty, earthy combination of vegetables? I plan to adapt this, soon, to make the perfect, late-winter creamed soup. Brava, Waverly, for this brilliant, inspired recipe! —AntoniaJames
rutabagas, peeled and coarsely chopped
large Vidalia or other sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons unsalted butter
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, chopped, plus more for garnishing
- ROAST ROOTS: Preheat oven to 400. In a large roasting pan or baking sheet, toss rutabagas, and carrots,with enough olive oil just to coat. Roast for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, toss the onions with enough olive oil just to coat. Add the onions to the baking sheet with the other vegetables and roast until everything is browned and tender, about 10-15 minutes longer. Note: watch the onions so they don't burn.
- PUREE: Place roasted vegetables in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is smooth. Add butter and process just to combine.
- ADD SEASONING AND SERVE: Transfer puree to a serving bowl. Add tarragon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm garnished with fresh tarragon.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe