Author Notes: This recipe is inspired by the addictive carrot salad I had at Underground Kitchen, a fabulous farm-to-table restaurant in Madison, WI. It was so good, so fresh and so light -- the perfect antidote to heavy winter eating! Roasted almonds can easiliy replace the pistachios. —SarahKlein
large carrots, shaved into ribbons
cup parsley leaves
cup cilantro leaves
cup fresh ricotta
tablespoons rice vinegar
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
cup roasted pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- Toss the carrot ribbons, parsley and cilantro leaves, rice vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper together until well-combined and glossy. Taste to ensure correct seasonings. Adjust as needed, adding more salt, pepper, vinegar or olive oil.
- Carefully crumble (or dollop, depending on your ricotta's moisture content). Give a gently toss.
- Plate each salad and top with a generous sprinkle of pistachios.
- Note: I use a vegetable peeler or my mandoline to get very fine, long ribbons of carrot. I turn and rotate the carrot as I shave, stopping when I reach the "core."
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe