Author Notes: I found this recipe in Gourmet magazine a few years back, and it has been a favorite since. —Ausra
cup unsweetened cocoa powder
tablespoons butter, chilled
tablespoons ice-cold water
cup brown sugar, packed
cup heavy cream
cup maple syrup
tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
cups roasted cashews, salted
cup coconut flakes, sweetened
ounces dark chocolate
In This Recipe
- For the crust: spray 10" tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a food processor.
- Add butter to flour mixture and process until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add ice-cold water to the mixture and blend until dough comes together in a ball.
- Press dough into a prepared tart pan. Chill at least an hour, or overnight.
- Bake the crust in 350oF oven until dry, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- For filling: in a medium sauce pan mix brown sugar, cream, maple syrup and ginger, set over medium-high heat and boil, whisking gently, until sugar dissolves and begins to bubble vigorously, about 8-10 minutes. Mix in cashews and coconut. Cool to room temperature.
- Chop chocolate and warm it up in the microwave until it begins to melt. Take it out of the microwave, stir with a wooden spoon until it melts completely.
- Brush melted chocolate on the inside of the baked crust to coat completely. Reserve remaining melted chocolate for garnish.
- Put the coated crust into the freezer for about 5 minutes, to harden the chocolate.
- Pour filling into the chocolate-coated crust. Bake the tart in 350oC oven for about 35 minutes or until the filling begins to darken and bubbles thickly.
- Transfer tart to a cooling rack and cool completely. Remove the tart from the pan.
- Remelt reserved chocolate in microwave and drizzle it over the tart in a lacy pattern.
- Store tart at room temperature covered with the cake dome.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)