If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was inspired to create this from a bag of in-season d'Anjou pears I received from FreshDirect as part of their free fresh fruit promotion. The sweet tartness of the pears plays perfectly with the crispy saltiness of the bacon. I hope you enjoy!
Also posted on my food blog, total noms: http://totalnoms.com/2011... —totalnoms
Makes 1 galette
For the Crust
cups all purpose flour
tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
pears, peeled (I used red d'Anjou)
- Place flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor and pulse once or twice to get everything combined. Add the cold butter, and process until the mixture becomes the consistency of cornmeal.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, and sprinkle the ice water over it. Using a rubber spatula or your hands, mix in water and create a ball shape out of the dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten to a small disk, then place in the freezer for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
- Pre heat the oven to 350. Cook bacon over medium heat in a skillet until almost crispy; transfer bacon to a plate layered with paper towels. Save bacon fat to grease your baking sheet.
- Chop peeled pears in half and scoop out the core, then slice into thin (1/8 inch thick) slices lengthwise. Place pears in a bowl, and add sugar and cinnamon. Zest your lemon over top, then cut in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Using your hands or a spatula, toss the pears in the juice and spices. When bacon has cooled a bit, add bacon and toss again.
- Remove crust from freezer. Unwrap the plastic wrap to expose the dough, and layer another piece of plastic over top, to make a plastic-dough-plastic sandwich. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick, making a large circle. Carefully remove the top layer of plastic wrap, then flip crust onto a bacon-greased baking sheet. Peel off the other plastic wrap.
- Scoop filling onto the middle of the crust and spread out, leaving 2 inches of crust all around. Fold excess crust over to contain the filling on the edges, leaving the center uncovered.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350, until crust is lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pears
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)